A huge percentage of home buyers choose whether to look inside a house or not based on the kerb appeal, which is the way the property looks on the outside of the street. In this regard, homeowners and home buyers don’t look at the house the same way. While the buyer looks at it as an investment, the owner still thinks of the property as a home thus fails to see faults in the house. As a homeowner, you need to start thinking of your house as a commodity that you want to sell for the best price. If you want to make sure that home buyers come inside your house, you need to spend some time working to improve its kerb appeal.
Clean the face of your house
Research suggests that washing your house can add its value. So, before scraping any paint or planting more flowers, wash the mildew, dirt and general grunge off the outside of your house. You can use a bucket soapy water and a brush with soft bristle to remove the dirt and dust that is splashed onto your fibre, metal, brick, vinyl, stucco and wood siding. Depending on the size of your house, you can either clean it yourself or hire the services of a professional cleaning crew. Also ensure that you:
- Clean gutters and windows
- Store away unnecessary garden tools and implements
- Mow your lawn and get rid of weeds
- Trim the tree limbs that are near or touching your roof
- Edge sidewalks and remove any vegetation growing between bricks or concrete
- Rake and dispose off leaves
Improve your landscape
Many a times, adding element to your landscape greatly helps to improve kerb appeal. However, there are other times when removing something is equally as effective. For instance, if you have an overgrown tree that is blocking an attractive element of your property, you might want to consider trimming it or taking it out.
Neaten your yard
Keeping in mind that homebuyers doing a drive-by will be interested in seeing your backyard, always make sure that you include it in your efforts for increasing kerb appeal. More so, if your backyard is visible to people from your neighbour’s driveway or from another street. Here are some tips for making your yard neat:
- Maintain a well-manicured lawn
- Prune your shrubs
- Add fresh mulch
- Surround your trees and bushes with reddish or brown bulk mulch
- Pull out weeds Green up your grass
Nighttime kerb appeal
Potential home buyers drive by houses at any time including evenings. Therefore, you need to make sure that your kerb looks appealing even at night. Lighting is one of the best and quickest ways of improving kerb appeal.
You can do this by:
- Adding an attractive light fixture or a decorative streetlamp to your front porch.
- Installing string low-voltage lighting along your sidewalks, driveways and near significant landscaping elements. Ensuring that your lights are visible enough through front windows and doors to enhance the appearance of your home.
If you want to entice more people to look at your home thus selling faster, you need to think like a potential buyer before they start showing up at your kerb.
Here at Alfresco our SoftWash and Pressure Washing services can help you to improve your kerb appeal. Chat to us today!